A 2021 virtual event to be held this April will recognize major career accomplishments of coaches. Nominations are due in just a few days.
The annual Sport Manitoba Coaching Awards presented will celebrate outstanding achievements and significant contributions coaches have made to their athletes and their sport. This year, the award recipients for 2020-2021 will be selected based on coaches' accomplishments over their entire careers.
Coaches are a cornerstone of all sport programs and through leadership, teamwork, encouragement, character development, and countless other teachings, they build better people.
“Coaches play an essential role in the sport system and have a significant impact on the lives of athletes,” said Janet McMahon, Sport Manitoba’s Interim President & CEO. “The Sport Manitoba Coaching Awards celebrate Manitoba’s passionate coaches who have dedicated themselves to developing athletes not only in sport, but also in life.”
The 2021 event will take place entirely on social media on April 6. Our nominees’ stories from their incredible careers in coaching will be featured on Sport Manitoba's Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter feeds.
Nominations for the following categories are open to the public. The deadline to submit nominations online is Jan. 15.
MAJOR AWARD CATEGORIES
- Vince Leah Award (Active Start/Fundamentals athletes)
- Coaches training grassroots athletes of any age
- Konica Minolta Dr. Jack Hunt Award (Learn to Train athletes)
- Coaches training athletes developing competitive skills and preparing for regional or provincial competitions
- Janet Arnott Award (Train to Train athletes)
- Coaches training athletes who compete at the Canada Games
- Peter Williamson Award (Train to Compete-Train to Win athletes)
- Coaches training high-performance athletes who compete at national or international levels.
- Peter Dick Award (School System athletes)
- Coaches training athletes at all grade levels in the school system who coach as an extracurricular activity
- Global News Active for Life Award
- Coaches training athletes who focus on achieving health and fitness for life
Sport Manitoba Coaching will also recognize coaches who have dedicated a minimum of 25 years to coaching at any level, and those who have coached at international events in 2020.