Cougars Still in the Hunt

The Cougars had a tough weekend series with the Thrashers in town on Saturday night, and then a battle Sunday morning with the Pembina Valley Hawks in Morden. The three teams are battling to remain close to the top with the Thrashers moving into second place with a four-point weekend.


article continues below

Thrashers 6 Cougars 5 in OT


The Thrashers jumped out to an early lead when a dump in came off the glass and ended up in the Cougar net behind a startled Eric Reid. Trevor Hunt evened the game at 10:28 on a blast from the point with Brayden Knox and Colton Miller grabbing the assists.


The Thrashers scored a pair of second period goals for a 3 to 1 lead to set up a wild third period. Cody Gudnason hooked up with Braeden Lewis 35 ticks into the third on a weird angle shot. Boyechko tipped the puck in to even the score from Hunt and Lewis at 3.21.


The Cougars grabbed their first lead of the game at 8:41 when Matthew Ramsey buried the puck from Owen Harris and Andrew Andries. The Thrashers tied the score 50 seconds later. The Cougars took the lead back two minutes later when Boyechko scored his second of the game with the man advantage from Zach Turner and Lewis (his third helper of the night) for the 5-4 lead. The Cats hung on but the Thrashers tied the score at 5 with less than five minutes to go in the third.


The game went to extra time with chances at both ends but the Thrashers ended the night with a shot off the right wing that beat Reid in the Cougar net. Reid ended the night facing 32 shots while the Cougars fired 36 shots at Cole Plowman in the Thrashers end.


Cougars 4 Pembina Valley 2


The Cougars hardly got to bed when they had to be in Morden for an 11:30 a.m. face off. The road conditions were not great but they were able to jump out to an early lead when Hunter Wallace broke free 80 seconds into the game and roofed one, blocker side. Ramsey and Hunt set up the goal. The Cougars made it 2-zip when Jacob Dolomont knocked the puck in from n Knox and Lewis in the sixteenth minute.


Luke Robson extended the lead seven minutes into the second when he banged in a loose puck from Kain Shearer and Wallace. The Cougars were flying and only the play of goalie Reid Dyck kept them in the game. The Hawks finally broke the shutout at 12:42 making it a one goal game just over a minute later.


The third saw the teams put up a defensive wall. Cougar Cody Gudnason grabbed the puck in his own end and fed Jordan Boyechko who passed to Myles Sobry at center ice for the insurance marker into an empty net with 50 ticks left in the game. Eric Reid faced 33 Hawk shots while the Cougars fired 40 at Reid Dyck.


© Virden Empire-Advance