Birthday party ends with fire scare

The kids will likely never forget this birthday party. They were celebrating at Mary Montgomery School when smoke set off the alarm system around 4:30 p.m. Sunday.

Three vehicles from the Wallace District Fire Department raced to the scene and firefighters entered the school to investigate. Fire Chief Brad Yochim said the alarm was set off by dust from a heater.

article continues below

“Dust accumulates on the element over the summer and fall, then when it fires up for the first time, the dust gets burnt off. There was a smoke detector very close to the heater so it activated.”

The party was nearly over at the time, so the kids went home with a great story to tell. 

 

© Virden Empire-Advance

Christmas Trees POLL

What type of Christmas tree do you put up?

or  view results