Among six new cases in Prairie Mountain Health region today, one is a confirmed case of the B.1.351 COVID-19 variant.
Public health officials advise one additional death in a person with COVID-19 is being reported:
• a female in her 60s from Southern Health–Santé Sud region and linked to the outbreak at the Portage District General Hospital.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 4.7 per cent provincially and 3.6 per cent in Winnipeg. The net-new number of provincial cases today is 89.
Public health officials are announcing 11 additional confirmed cases of the B.1.1.7 COVID-19 variant of concern first identified in the United Kingdom. Nine cases are in the Winnipeg health region and two are in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region. One confirmed case of the B.1.351 COVID-19 variant of concern first identified in South Africa has been detected in the Prairie Mountain Health region. Case investigations continue and if public health identifies a risk, the public will be notified.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• four cases in Interlake–Eastern health region;
• 42 cases in the Northern health region;
• six cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• six cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
• 33 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
• 1,089 active cases and 31,078 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• 60 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 86 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 146 hospitalizations;
• 11 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 12 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 23 ICU patients;
• the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 918; and
• the total number of confirmed variant of concern cases of B.1.1.7 is 63 and B.1.351 is 13, bringing the total number of confirmed variant of concern cases to 76