Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees Tuesday, August 20, 2019
The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees was held in the Division Board Room on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 8:00 p.m.
Present: Chairperson Garry Draper, Vice-Chairperson Craig Russell, Darcy Campion, Nicole Chaske, Kayla Moore, Marg Walker, Superintendent of Schools Barry Pitz, Secretary-Treasurer Kent Reid, Supervisor of Operations Vaughn Wilson. Regrets: None.
1.00 The meeting was called to order at 8:00pm.
2.00 The agenda was approved as circulated.
3.00 The minutes from the meeting dated Tuesday, June 25, 2019 were approved.
4.00 Business arising out of the minutes: There was no business arising out of the previous meeting minutes.
5.00 Delegations and visitation: There were no delegations or visitations.
6.00 Communications and petitions requiring action: There was no communications or petitions requiring action.
7.00 Administrative reports
- The Superintendent of Schools, Secretary-Treasurer and the Supervisor of Operations presented their reports to the Board of Trustees.
8.00 Committee of the Whole: There was no Committee of the Whole meeting reports to review.
9.00 Special Committee reports: There were no special committee reports for this meeting.
10.00 Ad-Hoc Committee reports: There were no ad-hoc committee reports for this meeting.
11.00 Introduction and consideration of by-laws
- By-law 3/2019 providing for trustee indemnities and other remuneration was reviewed and given three readings prior to being approved as law.
12.00 Previous notices: There were no previous notices from prior meetings.
13.00 New and unfinished business
- The Board of Trustees reviewed correspondence for a potential agreement between school divisions and the federal government that may provide funding through the Climate Action Incentive Fund.
- The Board of Trustees also reviewed correspondence from the Manitoba School Boards Association around the upcoming provincial elections.
14.00 In-camera session: There was no in-camera session for this meeting.
15.00 Informational correspondence
15.01.1 Task Force on School Bus Safety – Discussion Paper
15.01.2 CSBA – Press Release – Selection of President and Vice-President at AGM
15.01.3 Elkhorn School – Grad scholarship recipients appreciation
16.00 New Notices of Motion: No new notices of motion were presented at this meeting.
- The agenda was adopted as amended.
- The minutes of the regular meeting held on Monday, June 25, 2019 were adopted as circulated.
- A 1.0 FTE Limited Teacher General Agreement for Kim Barkley commencing September 3, 2019 and concluding January 30, 2020 was approved.
- A 0.5 FTE term teaching position for Jason Bone commencing September 3, 2019 and concluding June 30, 2020 pending his receiving a Limited Teaching Permit from the Department of Education was approved.
- A 0.44 FTE Additional temporary increase for Donnelda Wheelans commencing September 3, 2019 and concluding December 20, 2019 was approved.
- The leave of absence request of Lisa Vanbeselaere for the 2019-2020 school year was approved.
- An off-school, out-of-province trip for 20 Grade 7 & 8 VJH students to go to Montreal, Quebec on May 5 to 11, 2020 for an EF educational tour was approved.
- The 2019-2020 Manitoba School Boards Association membership fee in the amount of $31,800.30 plus applicable taxes was approved.
- The 2019-2020 MUST Fund fee assessment in the total amount of $4,710.10 was approved.
- The payment of the 2019-2020 Manitoba School Insurance Program premiums in the amount of $117,899.00 plus applicable taxes as detailed in the report of the Secretary-Treasurer dated August 20, 2019 was approved.
- Payment of Certificate for Payment No. 11 to LCL Construction Ltd. For work completed on the Funshine Early Learning Centre to July 17/19 as recommended by MCM Architects Inc. in the pre-tax amount of $26,207.44 was approved.
- Payment of Certificate for Payment No. 12, dated July 25/19, to LCL Construction Ltd. For the release of Hold Back Funds on the Funshine Early Learning Centre as recommended by MCM Architects Inc. in the pre-tax amount of $166,531.82 was approved.
- The Goulter School Modular Classroom move and site development bid from Von Ast Construction (2014) Inc. in the pre-tax amount of $274,000.00 as recommended by MCM Architects Inc. and as approved by the Public Schools Finance Board was accepted.
- PCN #1, for additional excavation and pea gravel relating to the relocation of two swing sets for the Goulter School Modular Classroom Relocation Project, in the pre-tax amount of $1,610.00 as recommended by MCM Architects Inc., subject to approval by the Public Schools Finance Board was approved.
- By-Law No. 3/2019, providing for the payment of indemnities and reimbursement of expenses to trustees, was given first and second readings and referred to the board.
- By-Law No.3/2019, providing for the payment of indemnities and reimbursement of expenses to trustees, was given a third and final reading and became law.
- Adjournment at 9:50 p.m.