Virden hospital, smoking motor triggers fire alarm

Around 2:15 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 16, Virden firefighters responded to an alarm from Virden Health Centre. Thankfully a cause of smoke was discovered before it became a fire.

The trouble was on the roof. An electrical motor on one of the air conditioners had burned out, stated Fire Chief Brad Yochim, who was also on the scene.

article continues below

There were no flames, but Yochim said that with the smell of smoke and alarm bells ringing, two wards of the hospital were evacuated.

An electrician and two firefighters were on the roof dealing with the smoking motor.

Meanwhile, King Street traffic slowly made its way past the scene.

© Virden Empire-Advance

Federal election POLL

Voter turnout for the provincial election was poor. Do you plan to vote in the federal election?

or  view results